Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Video Card

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi guys

Ok, so i know it's probably been asked about a million times before, but what do you guys reckon to video cards.

My machine is pretty neat, Sempron 2800, 1.5gb ddr, 200gb hdd, 5.1 sound, etc, but I'm only running a 5200agp card with 128mb.

I'm looking to get at least a 6600gt with 256, but i've only got a 300w power supply, from which i run 4 chassis fans, 1 cd writer, 2 hard drives and my board. This brings me here with a couple of questions:

1/ Will the new card need a separate power supply?
2/ Should I upgrade my power supply to a 430w?
3/ Any other (AGP) card recommendations other than the 6600gt that will be just as good, if not better?

I'm looking to buy asap.

Cheers...and keep spinnin...:o)

P

Mensajes Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 1:35 am
SkiHogPRO InfinityMember since 2005
My first advice is to always make sure you have more than enough power. I fried one of my video cards from not having enough power one time...and hence learned my lesson about underpowering electronic equipment (including pc's, amps, turntables, mixers, etc.).

As for the video card, if you are not doing video, then the video requirements are really quite minimal by today's standards. If you are doing video, then buy the best you can afford that has dual output. I bought dual nVidia 7900GTX's to run SLI...only to find that the drivers do not support dual monitors in SLI mode. nVidia has told me that they are working on making the drivers do it though, and will have it working in the future.

I also recall reading in the user's manual that they recommend using dual outputs on a single card as opposed to two seperate cards.

Mensajes Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:17 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
So basically, you reckon that i shouldn't upgrade unless I'm doing video?

I suppose at some time in the future i'll look towards it either from a karaoke perspective or a music video one. I think i'll upgrade to a 6600gt just to be on the safe side...and in any case i was a bit concerned about the PSU only being 300w. I've seen a thermaltake one for like 30gbp which has 9 peripheral power plugs on it...perfect for drives and fans and cdrw's etc.

Cheers for your help. Any further comments would be appreciated.

Keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Mensajes Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:38 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Is the 6600GT still the best bet for a video card? I'm running a 2.6Ghz Celeron with 1GB memory, on an MSI motherboard with AGP. Having some trouble finding an AGP version of this card, but will keep looking! Knowing how quickly computer stuff becomes obsolete, is the 6600 still the best around in terms of video performance versus price, or is there something better on the horizon? Any comments would be appreciated!

(oh and damn you version 4, I'm supposed to be at work now, but I'm still at home playing like a kid on christmas day... ;-)

Mensajes Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 4:31 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)