Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Turntables (and Table Tops) vs. Laptops

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Is a dj who spins with a laptop instead of turntables/table tops, a real dj? Some say no because the program does everything for you, which I believe if you don’t know music no matter how the program is set up, you wont be able to blend right. With new technology comes great powers (sounds like a spidey saying), great techniques and a space saver (that’s number 1 on my list), so is the laptop dj a real dj or phony?

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 8:40 pm
you are definitive a real dj still ;)

as you say, a dj is about finding the right blend, the right songs, build up an atmosphere etc
and not about if u do that on turntable, cd player or pc.. thats just tools.. The result is what counts ;) and thats the DJ and not the program, who makes :)

Mensajes Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 8:49 pm
Do you think the "top" dj's are scared to use new product like this? I mean, laptops. I seen many dj's here in the states and not one uses a laptop. I havent seen many and the ones i have seen arent good. So I ask, is new technology too new for dj to experiment with? Wouldnt that be easier then taking records and cd books with you, even equipment like tops and mixers?

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 4:32 am
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The only real question is whether the public and the bookers/party organiser recognise you as a real DJ. Fact is that the majority of the public, doesnt care, or if you are. like me, just much better than the average DJ due to VDJ, they praise you for it.

Clubowners on the other hand have a lot of prejudice. If you get the change to play and show that you make a great party, then they turnaround and caryy you on hands, but the change to get a change is already small for vinyl DJ's, let alone for Virtual DJ's. But we will continue to fight to the end.

One thing I did to improve my standing is make my own skin. I took my favourite (SN-Silver, thanks dj-in-norway!) ripped everything out (sorry about that) but the bare necessities: wave front, big song name & performer, big Gain-slider (the only thing I set with the laptop) and song overview thingie. The rest is gone. No BMP display, No start buttons etc. Off course I use the Dvinyl to get all that, so no need for it.

That way people/agents looking at your software, see that you are really doing the mixing.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 6:54 am
Club owners have no problem with a dj using other tools than vinyl. I have not yet countered any problem with club owners where I spinned with virtual dj. But... the 'collegue' dj's, they are the problem. They look at you as an 'amateur'-dj.

Don't give up! Do you thing, with or without Virtual DJ!

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:18 am
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Which country djelof? Where can I send my demo CD's to? ;-).

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:50 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Actually top dj's like the very top dj's...., judge jules, pete tong, roger sanchez, paul van dyk and the like :)...

they are all acustomed to vinyl..., but now they have and use cd players and laptops...., i saw paul van dyk on tv explaining how he uses an mp3 "scratch" software to do his scratching...., on his own laptop..., all the other superstar dj's were very impressed and endorsed the technology...,

They were saying it's great and creates a whole new edge when you can create loops on the flye, and play samples..,

They also said that it doesn't matter what you use to dj "with"..., as long as you play the right music to your crowd.., and get the party "rockin" then they will love you...

also that dj'ing is still a skill (a different skill) with cd players and laptop software...., they were commenting on how the transition to cd's was difficult (even for them!) at first, they said it's very fun and were impressed with all the new features..

They were looking at paul van dyk like he was something from the future..., like some kind of "new technology" that they didn't really understand..., but were more breathtaken than negative...,

and they also added that once you master the basics of mixing then the real skill is relating to your crowd with music, staying in control, and having a good time....., to me vinyl, cd's, and mp3 (same as cd!!!) are all just different methods of music playback...

but vdj has added more than just playack functions.., these are their as features..., what is avaliable to you as a dj..., you don't have to use them ;)

so we are spoilt when we use vdj..., we can have much fun and play with all the features offered..., or we can knuckle down and play proffesionally useing the "appropiate" features for that occasion ;)...,

but..., use a laptop with a pro mixer...,1 or 2 xp10's (or other pro controller option)..., and what you have is basically pro cd players and mixer...., but with this set-up their are many more "pro" features at hand..., samples, effects, rapid search, these features used appropiately are top notch ;)

If you wish to turn vdj sin into something more basic or take away the features that "aid" your mixing then that's completely up to the individual..., i.e visual waveforms, bpm counters...

but to me the major difference is...., guess?, the one word that dj'ing is about that defines every essence of being a dj..., TIME..., vdj (with the right talent ;)...gives you more time because song find is faster, songs can be beatmatched faster, functions can be triggered faster....

this is what makes virtual dj a "standout" from the rest of the playback options avaliable....., let the few people criticise you for it but vdj isn't easy..., and if your mix can be made more exciting, faster and cooler than theirs...., then it's just jealousy...., and the people i spoke to were very interested in the software..., and tryed a bit..., they said it's very hard (pioneer skin) and different from what they are used too..., and i quote " this dj'ing is more about knowing the music because it's got so many more numbers involved".

another point is that the new cd players (which dj's are turning to now) feature waveform displays, sync action and of course bpm counters..., these cd players are very expensive...

for example give me a few decks and a mixer..., and it wouldn't take me long to realise everything is the same and mix happily.., i know the principles..., give an expirenceed vinyl dj your computer...., the reslt will be disastrous...

hehe...enough said...., bagpuss :)

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 9:19 am
You are so right about the time saving part. VDJ allows you to prelisten to 4 or 5 songs or more before you mix them in. So your choices are better, more adequate in terms of what song fits best into the one that is playing at the moment. You don't lose time searching thru cases and cristal boxes anymore, and that is so much comfort that's really hard to go back to CDs or vinyls afterwards.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 9:36 am
I must say, thanks top all that dropped a thought here. I was taught with technique 1200 at first and went into the cd thing (denon 1800) and now, thank you to VDJ, its true, TIME makes you the better dj once you have mastered your music. Knowledge of your music and any other music is a real big deal as well. Good to know I’m not the only one walking around with a back pack that contains thousands of dollars in it (laptop with my music) and yet able to party with everyone at the same time. Its very true, this is the new age and the new way of the future and I’m glad VDJ as well as laptops are here to make that a statement. Here in the states there are very few dj’s that are into this… they still believe in vinyl and/or cd’s. They don’t understand that this way (with laptops) is a space saver and lets just say the laptop gets ruined, all the music is backed up at the crib in another hard drive along with another back up on dvd’s. Yet still no equipment and not crates to dig into. Thanks fellas!

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 5:41 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hey, wait a minute.... I'm in "the States". I've been working with a laptop for about 3 years now. I know of about a dozen or so other working DJ's who are also working with Laptops.
Maybe it depends on your area of the states. :-)

also, if you have some basic tools, you can build your own console. I haven't bought a console since my last turntable coffin. LOL
Over the years I've built about 6-7 consoles for the dual CD players. They sell the parts at your local lumber yard. :-) Look in the plywood section.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 6:35 pm
Yeah it may be true Rick, but at least with the people I know that spin House music, they’re still with the table tops and some even with turntables. I don’t mean to sound so geeky but hey, when DVD player came out people didn’t want to get into the new device but now its everywhere but as far as the music industry (some), they still want to keep using vcr’s. Someone does need to show them… some say when converting files from vinyl or even tapes to MP3’s that it’s a pain, but now really, what’s more a pain, carrying books of music or just a laptop with everything in it along with an external sound card oh and headphones.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 8:21 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Indeed it was a pain. It took me almost 2 years to encode my entire archives. Plus I still have to encode anouter 20-50 tracks each week. It was and is time well spent.

Mensajes Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 8:55 pm
I enjoy using this VDJ since I am a mobile DJ and im trying to get the hang of using the mouse to scratch. its not as easy as using my wheels LoL I need to speed up the fader too. still playing with it

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 5:08 am
get a controller... its a WHOLE new world !! ;)

get Hercules for low budget, or XP10 if u can afford... last one being a really pro controller with vinyl feel and scratch

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 5:19 am
DJ-In-Norway, where can i find Hercules?

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 9:48 pm
With Hercules he meant the DJ Console from Hercules ofcourse, in case you were wondering. See their website (http://us.hercules.com) for more details. I don't know where you live, but it should be readily available in computer stores in your neighbourhood I guess.

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 10:00 pm
Whats the difference between the VDJ XP10 Controller with the Bison as well as the Hercules?

Mensajes Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 10:12 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)