Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: DJ MIXING : basic - advanced - pro - Page: 19

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

paulb5Home userMember since 2010
Thanks Dj in Norway, found the guide really really helpful , am a bit of a novice and only just getting the hang of it at home. Now to buy the gear!

Mensajes Mon 22 Mar 10 @ 8:42 pm
hadeneHome userMember since 2010
ss

Mensajes Fri 02 Apr 10 @ 12:56 am
AquinokPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Thank you everyone for such great advice, it has helped me a lot seeing different aspects of DJing in the club. I've never done this, I stick to house parties and such.

Mensajes Tue 13 Apr 10 @ 1:46 pm
KarimGHome userMember since 2010
Thank you so much! this helps me alot.

:)

Mensajes Fri 16 Apr 10 @ 1:24 pm
Thanks guys ;)

You can also read 2 articles here, in our new magazine :

Download the magazine here :
http://www.virtualdj.com/magazine/

Issue 2 : Harmonic Mixing - in detail guide to better harmonic mixing

Issue 3 : Timing & Structure - guide to better mixing

Mensajes Thu 22 Apr 10 @ 6:22 am
Great stuff Thanks

Mensajes Thu 22 Apr 10 @ 7:25 am
I'm sure this has been posted some time ago, and it was a very interesting read and of coarse so true! Never thought this skill could be put in words, (tooting my own horn... it came to me naturally! :-)) Just wanted to say Thanks! that's all!

Mensajes Tue 04 May 10 @ 7:27 pm
guitaraHome userMember since 2010
nice topic but i want to konw more about virtual dj and how to use it like a pro..... :)

Mensajes Tue 25 May 10 @ 10:45 pm
rblevinsControlleristMember since 2010
thanks for the write up man i just recently bought a vdj controller that i was planning to use with a cracked version (i know lame) and im so glad it came with a complete version that works amazing with the controller! loving it and learning by the day

Mensajes Wed 26 May 10 @ 3:41 am
HI HOW CAN I BROADCAST FOR PPL LISTEN WITH VIRUAL DJ :)

Mensajes Sun 06 Jun 10 @ 8:43 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
INTRODUCTION AND SOME OPINIONS

* Playing Different Kinds of Popular Music

When playing different kinds of popular music, the most important is to know what is popular with the audience on the place you are playing. Go to the place you are going to play and hang out there some nites before your gig. Get some impressions, ask the owner…..

On top of this there are a number of “rules” when pub & club dj-ing:
- Play every song between 3-4 minutes for urban music, 6-8 mins for club music. If you play songs longer people will find it boring. If you play songs too short people will become irritated. So dont cut it too short either. Ideally after 2nd chorus somewhere is a good place.
- Minimum 4 songs of the same style in a row (or the style change gets too comfusing)
- Always play two slows. After the first not everybody has the girl/the boy he/she wants. After a slow, kick in a beat again. No point in messing around with a 'good' build-up. Some (lonely) people are waiting to dance, and the people slowing will leave the floor anyway when you switch to a non-slow.
- In the beginning of the night choose your end style of music. If you change genres at end of nite, people tend to use it as their "cue" to go home, instead of the getting a drink or something, if its earlier night.
- Don't try to beatmix when you don't have the skills. Nothing is more irritating than two non matching songs over each other with the bass drums interleaved and a DJ trying to fix that live. Use fade out, echo out or microphone skills if you don’t beatmix. You are still a dj, technique is not everything. Music and giving the crowd a party is the most important part!

Also, if you are not comfortable with beatmix, but can do some, then do just that. Beatmix those songs that u can, and leave the others for other transitions. Even when you try to beatmix in the beginning, there can be times beats drift to far apart, or you are out of luck ;) If you ever happen to be in such a situation (which will occur) just cut one of both songs. The audience will be happy if you do that. When you cut one of both songs you will be disappointed, just remember that it was too late for a subtle mix anyhow. So better luck next time :)

- At every moment have a list of the three/four/five next songs you will play, this should ensure continuity. If people ask something, don't switch immediately, put them at the end of your list, and eventually adapt your list. Trusts people's opinion only when they are not to drunk. Otherwise neglect them…. Lol :)

- Don't play songs that will kill the “atmosphere”. Like, don’t play a slow song in the middle of the gig, people go home after the song, or leave… And don’t play a techno song, even if its your favourite, if the theme for the nite is hiphop and visa versa… Knowing what an audience likes is as important as knowing what the audience absolutely dislikes.

* Playing One Style Whole Night
Essentially, it is much easier to play the same style (Techno, House, Acid, and so on) whole night than playing different styles. Of course, you have to know the style before you even think of playing. E.g: don't play Salsa if you don't know crap about it.

- Build your music tempo up, instead of playing it down. Start at one “lower” bpm, and sort your database by bpm’s – and build up from there. If it’s a long gig, you can reach peaks many times by going up to a certain high bpm level, and then build it down again (don’t go to far down, will kill the atmosphere and expectations of the crowd) Build up again after a little while…
-Tempo breaks are long ambient passages, often found in trance, house etc. This is a nice are to beatmix, or fade song out if u cant beatmix…
- If you are playing techno-style whole night you might want to surprise your audience by slowly removing the bass drum and afterwards kicking it in again. Removing the bass drum slowly and kicking it in is better than boosting the bass drum because most installations cut the mid and high frequencies when you boost the bass too much (hardware limiter).
- If you are playing techno-style, you can build your own build-up using the equalizer. Set the frequency low, cut everything out at the right moment and start changing the frequency. Be sure to kick in the complete sound at the right moment. (This can be tricky :)
- you can also do the trick above only with the bass eq for the right moments, and kick bass back in at the right moments.

BASIC BEAT MIXING
Now, something more difficult: Beat Mixing. Beat mixing is mixing two beats exactly over each other during a certain period. The difficulty with this is that different songs have different tempos. Synchronizing B with A is the first problem, keeping them synchronized is the second (as a general tip, I would say don’t use beatlock for this)
Beatmixing is only possible when the two songs are playing at the same speed.

Therefore , during playing one needs the ability to move a playing song a bit forward or a bit backward, such that they stay synchronized. This is called nudging.

- Syncing & positioning
When a suitable song has been selected and it is playing at the correct tempo one needs to start the song at the correct moment. Typically this moment is at the beginning of a phrase (that is the beginning of 8 measures). Normally, when the song is started it won't start exactly at the moment you intended it. Therefore, you will need to nudge a little bit. Look at the waveform to see if you need to nudge it forward or backwards to make it stay in beat with the song playing. AND THIS SHOULD BE DONE IN YOUR HEADPHONES; when u pre-listen the mix, and NOT NOT live… lol.. First when beats are in sync, you can move crossfader so that the sound goes out live. Having an external controller like XP10 or Hercules makes nudge a lot easier, using the jogwheels on the controller.

(MORE ABOUT BEATMIXING AND POSITIONING IN NEXT POST IN THIS TREAD)

- Pitching and nudging
If your beatmix is a longer one (2 songs on “top of eachoter”) keep watching the wavedisplay. During the time the two songs overlap the tempo difference between the two songs (even if it is a VERY small tempo difference) will result in a slight synchronization drift.
To solve this one needs to know beforehand which song is the slowest one of both. Pitch the slower one up a LITTLE, and nudge forward to make it sync in beats again.

- Cross fading & EQ shift
When you finally have the two beats exactly over each other in your headphones you want to switch slowly to song B. Before you do this be sure to cut off the bass drum with the equalizer. Otherwise you get a very nasty (and ugly) flanging effect on the bass drums. If the volume is good, switch off song A's bass drum slowly while you turn on songs B's bass drum. This way it will go unnoticed.

- Breaking
Once you have learned how to crossfade two songs, you might want to experiment with sudden breaks and gaps in the music, or faster fades. This will give the music more punch and keep people dancing.

(MORE ABOUT MIXING AND EQ USE IN LATER POST)

* Some Final hints
Practice!! Have a small mixing device at home
Learn from other DJ's: Listen to them and what they do, the songs they are playing as the small shifts they make. Listen also at the faults they make and how they could have avoid it. Beware: the better you become, the more frustrating it is to go to parties :)
Take enough sound-cables, power-cables and so on with you. Don't expect something will be available. Also take a mirror with you. Some mixing tables are that fixed and unreachable that you will need a way to see.
Don't forget a lamp.
Tape your sessions and listen to them afterwards.
Check all settings at mixer etc – dj’s often leave a mess .. lol

Mensajes Thu 24 Jun 10 @ 12:23 pm
hey ola cm descargo tonos de pitolas y helicopteros ect...

Mensajes Thu 01 Jul 10 @ 4:07 pm
Nice guide just started with dj'ing it really helped me out

Ty for this guide

Mensajes Fri 23 Jul 10 @ 8:09 am
I didn't read the whole guide I'm not a PRO but I know what I do, I do play music in the old style of DJ's like Ben Liebrand or Flemming Dalum, the real masters of Italo Disco.
There were some good italians DJs once upon a time a friend if mine the one that gave me many vinyls at the time Davide Battiston or Sergio Flash.
These were real pro djs, now you have so many absolute beginners stealing money around the world who don't really know what being a dj is... crappy music, no style no mixing, non beat matching just talking like morons while the kind of music changes with absolutely no sense.
I believe there's not a single way to this job , i could do this better than many others, I did it sometimes in French and Italians discos I playied around for parties , but... now I feel I'm too old in my country, the magic of the music from the 80s is loved in places so far from my country they are crazy for Italo and Hi NRG in Messico, in Russia, in Poland.
But forget the clubbers who put their crappy music without soul these are no DJs just technicians of hardware.

Mensajes Sun 22 Aug 10 @ 9:22 am
thats cool simoxmino you think you could teach me a bit im kinda new to mixing and this whole dj thing (: any additional help from anyone would be appreciated(:

Mensajes Fri 17 Sep 10 @ 7:50 pm
Wow. this cool but i'm new here don't know how to remix a song yet using virtual dj. i just want to learn how to remix it using this software. can i have i beat music here?

Mensajes Sun 26 Sep 10 @ 7:30 am
I have to thank the thread master for helping me understand my music now! I had a very basic and i was even able to mix certain songs together pretty nicely but now that i actually understand the structure of my tunes it makes my life so much simpler and just after reading this thread i improved so much.

I actually spend the time reading step by step and listening and looping in virtual dj finding songs that have the same structure and everything i almost wish i screen captured it all but it all made so much sense and i was able to see it infront my eyes.

Even though i only read page 1 so far i will continue to read and if anyone can even provide me with more threads to read on that would be greatly appreciated.

Actually im going to record and upload the basic ideas that were presented to me and see if im doing it correctly

Edit:

Okay i uploaded it, Heres a simple playlist i made on youtube of me "beatmatching" two songs using the OUTRO/INTRO Method. Simply keeping the Med and Treble and mixing only the bass. let me know what you guys think and which style you like the best each one is different so listen carefully. P.S: Im using a Hercules RMX

Personally i feel "style 1" is my best because i actually started song 2 with the 16 beats before the outro and fading the bass as the outro starts. i know there isnt a wrong style but let me know :)

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=578AD40575BBEE7B

Mensajes Tue 05 Oct 10 @ 2:14 am
cannot be explained better

Mensajes Wed 20 Oct 10 @ 9:49 pm
Great guide, I'm a newbie and this article really helped!

Mensajes Sun 24 Oct 10 @ 2:34 pm
BASIC BEATMIXING CONTINUED

WHAT IS A BEAT?
Beat matching is probably the most fundamental of all DJ skills. Once mastered it allows you to take two separate tracks that will inevitably be different speeds and blend them together creating that seamless mix sought after by all DJ's.

The concept behind beat matching is quite a simple one, take two tracks and synchronise them. 'Sounds easy' I hear you say. Wrong!

First, without trying to sound over simplistic we must define what a beat actually is. When you are listening to a track, the beat is usually the bass drum. I say usually because other things such as high hats or symbols can be used. For this tutorial, we will use the bass drum, as this is by far the most common.

So what happens then when the bass drum is not play during part of the track? Does this mean that there is no beat? The answer here is no. Think of the beat as rhythm. If you find yourself tapping your feet, nodding your head or shaking any other part of your anatomy, it's the beat that you are doing this to. Let’s not wiggle too much though as people start to think you're a bit weird waving your arms all over the place… lol ;) This is specially true for modern pop, rnb, hiphop and alike, that’s why it can be harder to mix than house and trance that has a repeating bass drum (or other beat) almost constantly through the whole track.

Finding the beat in some records can be tricky but if you listen to it carefully, you will find it eventually. It's important to remember that during those quiet sections on a track, the beat still goes on but you will have to mentally count it in your head.

(To find the right beats per minute (bpm) read more here:http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=5408)

Now that you know exactly what a beat is the next thing you should now is that they are placed together in groups of 4, 8, 16, and 32. Try listen to a song, and count 1-2-3-4… 1-2-3-4… that’s the beat.. and it repeats itself by 4 ..

This grouping of beats into multiple of 4 is true for virtually all tracks and is a concept that is important to grasp.. You may be able to get both records to the same speed but if you mix one into the other without taking into account the 'position' you are mixing into you'll drop it in like a lead weight, it will be easy to hear you are mixing, even if they are right beat mached, because they have a “wrong” positioning towards eachother. The idea is to create a smoooooth mix that is almost undetectable. Don't worry if you not too sure about this at the moment because it will be discussed again later on.

So, the important thing is to keep the bass beats flowing through the sets, not that means there's always bass drums banging away, just that the beat is constant between tunes, so the people on the floor don't have to do a quick 2 step shuffle to get back in time with the beats. In other words:-

Beat - -beat - - beat - - beat - - beat - - beat - - beat - - beat - - beat :-
is the kinda thing you're aiming for

beat - beat beat - be-beat- beatbe- beat - bebeat - - beat - beat - - beat
isn't really going to flow.

Tune 1 - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - -
Tune 2 - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - -
Is the preferred method of mixing, where the beats of tune 1 and tune 2 occur together. What you don't want is:-

Tune 1 - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - - Beat - -
Tune 2 - Beat - Beat - Beat - Beat - Beat - - Beat - -
Where the beats of the two tunes are out of sync, and the people on the floor aren't too sure as to what beat they're supposed to be following when the dance. Get me?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
---------------- BBBBBBBBBBBBB
--------------------------- CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Where each letter is a differnt tune. How, where and for how long these overlaps go on ?

The point of beat-matching is to take two tunes, and make them run at exactly the same tempo (BPM). Why? So you can play the two tunes together and go from one to the other without there being a change in the beat. Why? So that the people on the floor don't have to shuffle step to get back into the rhythm of the music. Why? coz otherwise they'll leave. Why? SHUT UP!!! (lol…)

Now…. When starting to practice, don’t go starting with some advanced beat songs of Beyonce or some crazy break-beats… :) Take 2 house songs (they are easiest to beat match), and two house songs with a clear dominant bass drum would be even better. It's a nice idea to find a tune that doesn't have a “beatless” intro - you will get more luck out of one that starts immediately into the beats.

Now, load those 2 songs into each deck in vdj, and set the pitch to zero in both decks.
Now, move both songs (use the wave form and drag), so that both songs are positioned just before the first bass beat, and press the cue button here.

Press play on deck one… and let the music start.

**********************’
BEAT MIXING

Okey… lets assume you have a song running on deck1, with crossfader all the way to the left.
This ensures that deck 2 will not be heard until you are ready. Set the headphone pre-listen so that only deck 2 can be heard through the headphones.

The next step is to find a good place to start with on deck 2. The first bass drum on the track is ideal. Now, listen to the beat at deck1, and try to start deck 2 “on the beat” of deck1, or press sync in VDJ to make it start & sync to beat of deck1.

If you don’t use the sync button, but do it the manual way, make sure the bpm is the same before starting deck2, by moving pitch-slider so that the bpm number on both decks correspond (again, having the right bpm’s and cgb’s are essential – and again read this post first, and understand it all: ………………..)

At this stage, it might help to have the headphones situated so that they're only covering one ear. By doing this you get deck 2 blasting down one ear but can still listen to deck 1 playing in the background through the other. Or you can use the “headphone mix” option in VDJ skin to hear both decks (your mix) in headset.

Now…listen to deck2, compared to the beat pattern in deck1. Alter the pitch so they stay it the same beat, or press sync again. If they start drifting apart, nudge on jogwheel, and alter pitch again (or try pressing sync botton again)
When you think you have finished matching up the beats it is a good idea to listen to what they will sound like when played together otherwise you could be in for a shock. You can do this listening both deck 1 and deck 2 through the headphones. If everything sounds ok then you are ready to mix in the two records and go live using the crossfader.

It will take some time before you can easily match up the beats so don't be put off if the record runs out before you can mix it in.

ADVANCED MIXING
Ok, so you've got and idea of what you're supposed to be doing now and have got a feel for the type of adjustments needed to match the two records. Let's face it though, it's not as smooth as you'd like it to be and you want to know what you can do to improve. What's that little secret that top DJ's seem to know that gets those mixes silky smooooooth? Advance Beatmatching!

The key is to make the 2 songs mix in the at the same beat of each pattern, same “start beat” of those 4 by 4 beats. In VDJ they are shown as BIG cbg squares under the beatwave. Now, even if VDJ shows them, that does not mean that they are rightfully aligned under the “first beat of the pattern”. To make sure, go to the beginning of the song. The first beat of the song, is often the first beat of the pattern, and make sure the firt big cbg square is here. Also, every new lyric line, usually start at the first beat of a pattern. Check to see that those big cbg squares are under such “first beats”…

Now, when beatmixing deck2 into deck1, make sure that when they are aligned/synced, that they are also aligned in beat-pattern, so that the big cbg of both songs are aligned under eachother. This makes the mix sound perfect, and not as if u just “throw” a song randomly into another song, even if beat matched!

Happy mixing! ;)

Mensajes Sun 31 Oct 10 @ 10:42 pm
76%