Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Somebody end the XP-10 farce - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I was planning on buying the VDJ 2.06 (I have 1.08) and some non-VDJ XP-10's (because I get them cheaper and the VDJ-ones are ugly). And all out of a sudden this ridiculous "won't work properly, and by the way no reply"-stuff is getting all out of hand. How on earth can the VDJ-team all out of a sudden fail so misserably? First you produce a superb program, run a good dialogue with the users and then this childish behaviour to ruin it all?! Somebody grow up and deal the cards straight! U don't want the snowball start rolling in the wrong direction.

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 12:08 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Contact EKS. They've been completely helpful and answered all my questions thoroughly within 24 hours of mailing them.

Obviously, you've been following along. That being said, what could possibly be said here that you'd have 100% faith in?

Buy the XP10 if you want to use VDJ 2.06/Bison/Midi with the possibility that VDJ 2.07 (.08, .09, whatever) will not work with your XP10s. This costs 100 euro more than the VDJ Pro. Atomix offers no guarantees that the XP10s will work and no support at all for the hardware. They actually say that the XP10's don't work right now, though I assure you that as of 10 minutes ago mine worked just fine. *shrug*

Buy the VDJ Pro if you don't care about ever reselling your unit, using any other software, Midi support, or waiting an indeterminate amount of time for them to come back in stock. Save 100 Euro.

Maybe when the new EKS firmware comes out to support Midi, it will also work with the VDJ Pro. Maybe not. Maybe flashing your VDJ Pro with the EKS firmware will prevent it from working with VDJ. Maybe not. EKS won't really talk about it because the VDJ Pro is an OEM version made for Atomix at their request. EKS tells me to talk to Atomix, which doesn't appear to be very productive.

I have a pair of the full retail XP10's from EKS and couldn't be happier. This whole mess is a shame because they are fantastic controllers. Mine have great sound (I get no hum like I've heard others complain about) and I was able to perform basic, good sounding scratches 20 minutes after plugging them in...and I'd never spent more than 2 hours scratching vinyl prior.

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 1:56 pm

It sad that the XP10's from VirtualDJ are out of stock as of now, but they will be back soon. No worries.

And the "official" VirtualDJ Xp10s are cheaper, and have the correct labels on the buttons towards its functionality for the software.

You can get the non-virtual DJ xp10s if you want, but I would rather wait a little bit for the official xp10's from Virtual DJ, and acutally save money too ;)

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 2:02 pm
As cynical as I am about this whole topic, I still have to say...

DJ in Norway, you rock. I believe you when you tell us things, and I appreciate all the help you've given to this forum in various topics. Tell Atomix you need a raise. =)

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 2:05 pm
Well I just ordered my XP10 from EKS. The deal is done. Overnight shipping. I also made sure I had a good copy of 2.06 downloaded before they could sneak in any lock out code. So by early next week, this forum will have another post describing a user experience with XP10. Wish me luck.

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 2:11 pm
You are going to love it.

Did you get 2 units or 1?

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 2:13 pm
@ awesome

I dont think there ever will be any lock code ;)

no worries ;)
The issue is NOT that, rather that the firmware made on the xp10's from Virtual DJ are spesially designed for Virtual DJ - to give it 100% best functionality :)
and make sure the mapping to the device is perfect...

The EKS xp10s have a different firmware, but might not be a big issue.

We would recomment the official firmware/xp10s... I think thats all there is to it ;)

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 2:16 pm
Bargler, I think I will lovem. I did get two units. I am actually pretty happy with my DJ console except for 3 *really* annoying mis-features.

1.) Extremely cramped interface. I mean look at the thing They fit a whole bunch of slider, knobs, lights and controls in a very small area. Well I'm sure some people really appreciate having so much power in such a small space, I found it actually hindered me when I was doing a show. I kept bumping things by accident.

2.) Membrane style buttons. Oh if they could just fix this. The membrane style buttons are so crappy. I like to do a lot of "punch-in on beat" style mixing and I can't tell you how many times I missed my spot because you have to lean on these buttons so hard.

3.) Don't even think about scratching with those little wheels. I find it almost laughable that the Hercules advertisement says you can scratch with those wheels. Yeah right. Chicken-scratch maybe. True, you can make a scratch sound effect with the wheels but nothing very useful for a beatmixing DJ. However, I did upgrade to the full version and that does in-fact make scratching "a little" more useful, but not by much.

I'm perfectly happy to rock a party with my Hercules, excepting the above mis-features. From everything I've read (as in, every Wireless and Bargler post), I think the XP10s will do me right. I've already lowered my productivity in every aspect of life since I got my Hercules, and I expect that trend to accelerate when I get my XP10s. I mean, really,.. somewhere around 15,000 songs in my collection and so many of them just begging to get hotmixed! Too many songs, too little time.

Oh yeah, and before I forget. Special shout-out to WirelssDJ for the awesome comparison post between the Hrecules, XP10 and DAC-2. Awesome post. Oh yeah, and thanks to Wirless also for setting off the now famous disapearing threads!

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 5:18 pm
Well, it seems things are falling into place after all... Also, I just got an e-mail from EKS that sorted things out. While they said they would kill me if I posted the mail in theese forums I think it's safe to say that they take the responsibility of the VDJ-XP 10's delay, due to component shortage.

As it is, I just burnt all my cash on a new laptop, so I'll have to wait with the controllers anyway.

To VDJ-team I would have to say: you should consider updating the look of your controller (and standard skin for the software), it does look a little bit to toy-like. Got to watch that cred-o-meter!

Mensajes Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 5:18 pm
>Maybe when the new EKS firmware comes out to support Midi, it will also work with the VDJ Pro

It is not firmware, it is a driver. And it is not EKS that is writing the driver, it is a 3rd party. I will get in touch with the developer to see if the software is available for sale and post a link

Mensajes Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 10:41 am
Guess what I was having problems with my VDJ XP10 controller again and took it apart to check things again. I found that EKS ground off all the numbers off all the control chips. Not one number left. No wonder I am having problems their messing around trying to keep people from copying their design has caused my problem.I think this is a stupid thing to do. One of the chips is probly overheating.

Mensajes Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 5:06 pm

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 1:31 am
Maybe the patent hasn't gone through yet and they are they are just protecting their design. I understand where they are coming from. Removing the wording on the chips does not affect heat dissipation in any way. It's actually a pretty amazing design with the touch plate and high resolution jog wheel (not shown)

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 4:52 pm
Dont give me that the manufacture of the chips would have something to say about that. Also removing information like that that has a patient is slightly against the law here.

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 5:38 pm
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Even if they hadn't removed the words from the ICs i'm not sure if it would be worth the time trying to "borrow" the design instead of creating a new from scratch.

My guess from what i can see from the image is that the ICs do the following (bottom to top):

-EEPROM (Firmware)
-Microcontroller, handles buttons, jog wheel etc.
-Either a microcontroller handling the MP3 stream from the USB or a CPLD (for misc logics)
-D/A and filter IC.

That is about what you need to create a product like this.

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 5:40 pm
Ok since I am not getting any help from EKS for my problem lets see if anyone can figure out my problem. The US digital photo cell you don't see because its removed but you can see the wires.Next it come through the board at the J5 point . One wire controls the jog wheel in the clockwise direction and the other controls it in the counter clockwise direction. And one of the wires is ground . The last one I dont know what it is for. It looks like several lead to U6. This could be the source of my problems.The jog wheel doesn't work in the counterclockwise direction.Any Ideas will be helpful Since EKS ran for the hills when the problem started.

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 6:00 pm
U6 could be a interface/buffer IC for the photo cell(s). Can you take a image of that also (Photo cells)?

The unknown wire, a guess is that is for the touch sensitive plate.

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 6:17 pm
Just a reflection after looking a little bit more at the XP10 Image.

They have a really nice audio output design (bottom right at the PCB). It looks a lot like a Class A stage. Not at all like in the Hercules DJ Console that just have a simple standard OP-Amplifier.

It doesn't add much cost to have it like the XP10 but it takes a lot of PCB space. Guess thats why the DJC doesnt have it.

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 6:56 pm
I will do you one better here is the website with the unit for sale.It's US Digital and they have a varity of different units. Also if they had used USB 2.0 the sound card latency would have been top notch but usb 1.0 is not designed for sound cards.
http://www.usdigital.com/products/e5s/

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 6:59 pm
This E5S unit is really interesting, do you have any numbers on the one you have so that i can se what model they use in XP10 ?

Is the jog wheel mounted directly to it ?

This gives 5v pulses, it could be that the XP10 uses 3.3V for the digital circuits. If so, then U6 should be a 5v to 3.3 volt converter/buffer. Well, just an idea. If so then pin 3 and 5 (A + B channel) should be connected to it.

BTW: Do you have one or two XP10 ? If you have 2, have you tested E5S unit from the working XP10 in the other ?

I will look more at it now.

Mensajes Sun 09 Jan 05 @ 7:31 pm
77%