Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: MP3 vs. WAV - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The question of mp3 vs WAV is really irrelvant in the long term when you think about it.
Within a few years, WAVs will be obsolete. MP3s will be the new permanent format.
So everyone's tracks will sound the same.

What will probably happen is that sound sysystems, MP3 players, DJ software etc... will have built in features to make the songs sound livelier.

There's already too much invested in MP3s.
The format won't die just because we have more hard drive space.

It's like if a new format came out tomorrow, that was 5% better than WAVs but also took up 10 times more space. No one would convert, becuase for the same amount of $$ you could always have more MP3s than that new format.

And that's what it all comes down to: more bang for your buck.

So keep buying MP3s! They ain't going anywhere, and will pretty soon define the standard for sound quality.

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 11:52 am
well, most online Music Stores have already started to offer Wave files...
A year or two back, it was only mp3 they offered..

But Mp3's will for sure stay... Good quality, on a small file, always gets popular and stays popular ;)

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 1:01 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've DJ'd a club with mp3's, and I can safely say the bass BOOMS! There is no audible difference between the mp3's and the CD's, and they have a large system. All of my mp3's are 192 kbps. Hope this helps!

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 8:45 pm
everything "booms" on a PA clubsystem;) LARGE bass elements...

Try listening for the crisp and punch in midtones, and specially highs

But as said, MINOR DETAILS... and nothing to worry about;) Good coded mp3s are fine:)

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 2:36 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
ISP are now offering 6MB download easy.
hard drive space is getting cheaper.

with those 2 factors is easy to think that wav is gonna be the new mp3 but video is becoming the new mp3. video is better than audio. right now we are in need for a standard video format. right now i dont think there's a real standard for video like we have the 192 mp3. when that comes we gonna move to that.
standard for movies is divx. movies are downloaded more than music now. back in 2003 i shared 5,000+ new and old mp3s vs. 3 movies and there were many cues on the movies maybe 1 or 2 for the audio files.

a lot of vehicle stereos are playing videos now. its affordable.

i think as hdd space gets bigger and internet speed gets faster, video files are gonna be the new standard.

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 9:34 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
People on the dancefloor GENERALLY can't hear differences between mp3 at 128 and cds ..if you use 256 it's ok for you and for the people (they don't understand about quality) -
It's only my experience -

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 8:56 pm
true true... :) and reason I'm fine with using good coded mp3s;)

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 9:56 pm
Most of you guys are forgetting something. Most people on the dance floor, don't know what good music or sound is. Today's music is mostly samples, and is electronic. They have all grown up on sub-par music and sound. How many dance artist, can actually play an instrument? What do people go to the club for, music? I don't think so. They go to get laid and high. Milli Vanilli performed in front of hundreds of thousands of people, and they couldn't even tell they where not singing. Read my lips, "We are not playing for DJs and audiophiles, that know the difference". For crying out loud, we play for people that use Ipods and even use their cellphones to listen to mp3s. You give these drunks way too much credit. What they listen to at home, does not matter. They probably listen to crappy sound systems at home also. Now I, can tell the difference in a low bit rate mp3, and do not use them. I wish all the DJs in my club, would understand this. All of mine are 320 cbr. My club has a great system. Crown 3600VZ driving 8 18" JBL subs. Two Crown 1202s driving 8 15" JBL mid-bass, Carver PM 200 driving 8 JBL 2 inch mid horns, and Carver pm 200 driving 8 JBL super tweeters. This is a big system for the size of my club. It kicks ass, and no one has ever said to me, "you are using mp3s and I can tell the difference".

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 10:09 pm
A Man And His Music -- HAHAHAAH LOL ! Exactly! This is really the point we're all trying to make here I think :) I will still collect my music in WAV form whenever I can, because I can tell the difference, and I care, BUT as for playing in a club, you're absolutely right, it probably does not matter at all!

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 10:17 pm
I agree with a man and his music. You could just use what works best for you and is in your own opinion good enough. I use mostly 192k mp3 files, converted myself from original cds with the lame encoder. For me it is good enough. Just remember, sound quality is determined by the weakest link in the chain.

Ewout

@A man and his music, nice amplifiers. I use them also (see blog). I use a 3600VZ for low end, a 2400 for mid and a 1200 for high. All three are fitted in one rack. The only disadvantage of the crown ones: Try to take some stairs with them...

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 11:25 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
192Kbit/s is a standard for Mp3's, good quality and small size in files. Constant bit rates are better than variable, for me.

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 11:36 pm
I also use cbr files only. This is an advantage, because some vbr files will give problems displaying the song length, before analysing.
Ewout

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 11:41 pm
Could never use Macro-Tech for mobile any more. Way too heavy. My last amp rack I used for mobile work, had 3 Carver 1200s, that only weigh 21lbs each. It was a 16 space rack, and was full, but I could still lift it. I still have a Crest CA9 and a Carver 1200, in a small amp rack.

Mensajes Tue 02 May 06 @ 3:46 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)